Tuesday 7 April 2015

Cape Verde Shearwater

While I was in Cape Verde at the end of March this year I decided on another boat trip in the hope of seeing some whales or dolphins but it was never the outcome.

What I did see was a few shearwaters flying past the boat and I asked the skipper if he could change his course and try and follow the same track as the shearwaters. He kindly did and as we got a little further away we saw a few more and they seemed to be feeding.

As we got closer and closer we did not just see a few but lots and lots. A quick guess, I would say there was about 100 birds in total.

What a sight and even the skipper was a happy fella and even commented that he had never seen as many. Happy Days.

There was even a Brown Booby having a look to see what all the fuss was about.

I was a wee bit excited to be honest (not like me) and they are beautiful seabirds too.

Later in the trip we saw two fisherman in their boat with two shearwaters beside them and they did not have a care in the world about these birds. I suppose its a bit like me with the Puffins as you see them all the time so it becomes the norm... No not really, they just did not care at all and why would they be, as they are just trying to make a living at fishing.







No comments: