Saturday 25 May 2013

Mallard Chicks

After gale force winds we have had over the last few day's I've just looked at the weather for the rest of the week and it's looking good, so if your planning to join me this week please get booked as it will be busy.

As I have not been to sea over the last few day's I have just been playing catch up at home. Oh I hate paper work. Never mind it has to be done, so with my head down in paper work, I  got a knock at the door and it was my neighbour. She asked me if I knew anything about Mallard chicks. "A little but not alot I said" Well I have six and I don't know what to do with them as they don't have a mother.

The look on her face said it all, and I just knew what was coming next. I don't suppose you could look after them as your the only person I know who knows anything about birds. Deep down I really did not want the hassle but after seeing them and my daughter Charlie tugging on my leg saying "Please Daddy Please" how could I say no.

So there we have it. I'm now a Dad to six mallard chicks.

After a few calls to make sure I'm doing the right thing and a quick look on Google, I now have them in a box keeping them warm in my living room.

They are cute but even my dog  Bud was looking at me as if to say "What have you done" I know mate but it's only for a while.

To be honest I'm pleased they are in the house, because the way the wind was last night they would never lasted and now at least they have a sporting chance.
They also a little lucky that we don't have any cats around and I have a walled garden which is really protected so they can wonder around without any worries.

Even though the wind was strong today they were very happy in the garden, eating flies, bits of grass and drinking water. I even got a dustbin lid to make into a pond for them.

I'm now the best Daddy in the world, so they better survive or I will be the worst Daddy in the world.

Anyway I will keep you updated throughout the coming weeks on their progress and hopefully its a happy ending.



   

1 comment:

daystar12uk said...

Absolutely adorable and I bet the kids are over the moon.