Tuesday 26 December 2017

Cape Canaveral

We left St Augustine about 11am and sailed all day and all through the night and arrived in Cape Canaveral about 11am. It was still cold but this time we had not driving rain which made the over night passage a lot more enjoyable.
When we arrived at the marina, both boats were moored beside each other and after we were happy they were tied properly we washed all the salt of the boats. Whilst doing this the weather improved vastly and off came the thick coat and woolly hat and about time too.

After all the jobs were done we had a snooze for a couple of hours and then we went out for something to eat. Michael had been to this area before so he knew the perfect place to eat and it was really nice too. On our way out to we saw a Osprey sitting on the mast of the boat and it was just staring at us. I have never been so close to this stunning bird too.

After a good nights sleep we got up early and caught a taxi to Kennedy Space Centre. I was really looking forward to seeing this place as I had heard so many good things about it and I can tell you it lived up to everything I thought it was going to.
It was a bit expensive to get in but after seeing other places in America it does not surprise me at all. I was in America many years ago and it was cheaper than the UK but I can tell you the UK is much cheaper then this country now. Never mind I was not going to let that disappoint my day.

Once through the entrance you come across a picture of John F Kennedy with his famous words from his speech. "For the eyes of the world now look into space, to the moon and to the planets beyond, and we have vowed that we shall not see it governed by a hostile flag of conquest but by a banner of freedom and peace"

I was so impressed with this place and all the stories about every little thing that went on. They do their best to thank everyone from the tea lady to the astronaut's and when you see the size of one of the rocks you can't help but be impressed and gob smacked at the same time, but I think the space shuttle "Atlantis" was the icing on the cake for me. To be told how it was built and how long it took them to do it was out of this world and to think it did so many missions too was just amazing.

For me this place is a must for everyone and if you ever get a chance to go then do it, as its worth every penny.

After a great day and a good nights sleep we left a little bit later in the day as we did not want to be at our next destination until it was day light so we departed about 3pm which gave me enough time to get some washing done and get a nice hot shower.

Next stop...... Palm Beach..

















No comments: